Classic Cherry Pie
For the crust (makes 2):
- 3 1/2 cup (15 oz/420g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup + 4 Tablespoons (10 oz/280g) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (5 oz/150 ml) water
For the filling:
- 2 pounds (about 5 cups) cherries, pitted
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- 2/3 cup (130g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 Tablespoons sugar, for decoration (optional)
For the crust:
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour and salt. Dice the butter into small pieces and crumble it with the flour until lumps are the size of small peas. Add sugar and stir well. Pour in the iced cold water, little at a time, mixing with a fork. Finish by hand and shape into a ball. Divide in two equal parts and wrap each of them into cling film. Place in the refrigerator and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Take the first dough and roll out into a until the dough is 7 cm (3 inches) longer than the pan you are using, and around 5 mm in thickness. Carefully fold the dough, lay it across the pie pan, and gently unfold the crust, using your hands to fit the dough down into the pan. Burst any air bubbles with a fork.
- For the lattice strips: On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the second pie dough into a 30 cm (12-inch) circle.
- Using a pizza cutter or pastry roller, slice the dough into 10 strips (the width of the strips is totally up to, and you can make one or two braids with the strips if you wish). Lay the strips on a prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until needed.
For cherry filing:
- Combine the cherries, corn starch, sugar, salt, vanilla, almond extract, and lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer, stirring almost constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken – about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 2 minutes before removing from the heat. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the cherry pie filling into the pie crust shell. Top with cubes of butter.
- Lay 6 of the strips parallel on top of the filling, leaving about 1 cm between each strip. Fold back every other strip, then place another strip of dough perpendicular to the strips. Unfold the folded strips so they lay over the perpendicular strip. Continue this layering process, weaving the strips over and under each other.
- Trim the edges of the strips, leaving about 1 cm overhang. Roll the excess dough up so it’s tightly sitting on the edge of the pie plate, then crimp the edges to secure the strips with the bottom pie crust.
- For egg wash, beat together the egg and water in a small bowl until well combined. Brush the edges of the crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar, if using.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F) and continue baking for 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Let cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours before slicing.